Veterans heading to the 7th Annual Seattle Stand Down on December 14-15 can ride free on King County Metro and Sound Transit buses, light rail, and Sounder trains to the event.
The Seattle Stand Down event, which connects veterans, service members, and their families who are experiencing homelessness with local resources and services, will be hosted at South Seattle College’s Georgetown campus. Representatives from businesses, nonprofits, educational institutions, and all levels of government are brought together at one location to provide housing assistance, case management referrals, employment opportunities, legal aid, medical screenings, eye exams, dental services, haircuts, personal hygiene items and meals.
Veterans traveling to or from the two-day event can ride free by showing one of the following forms of ID:
- Veteran Health Identification Card
- Uniformed Identification Card
- DD-214 discharge paperwork
- Driver’s license with veteran’s designation
Veterans also can obtain a special two-sided free bus pass (pictured above) by contacting Hopelink at email@example.com, calling (425) 943-6760, or visiting one of the following service providers:
- VA Community Housing and Outreach Services – 419 S. Second Ave., Suite 2, Renton, 98057
- Washington state Department of Veteran Affairs – 2106 Second Ave., Seattle, 98121
- DESC Connections -515 Third Ave, Seattle, 98104
- Compass Housing Veterans Program—Shoreline, Renton and Pioneer Square Veterans Program
- YWCA Support Services for Veteran Families program
- El Centro de la Raza – 2524 16th Ave S, Seattle, 98144
- God’s Little Acre – 12517 33rd Ave. N.E.; Seattle, 98125
- King County Veterans Program – Renton WorkSource – 500 S.W. Seventh St. #100, Renton, 98057
- King County Veterans Program – Seattle WorkSource – 2106 Second Ave., Seattle, 98121
- The Salvation Army William Booth Center – 811 Maynard Ave. S., Seattle, 98134
- Valley Cities Behavioral Health Care
Metro bus routes that travel to or near the campus include routes 60, 124, 131, 107 and 154. Route 154 is peak-only service. For additional information about transit
service, visit Metro Online or Metro’s Puget Sound Trip Planner, or call Metro’s Customer Information line at 206-553-3000.
The Seattle Stand Down will open for registration at 7 a.m .on Thursday, December 14. Services will be available from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. On Friday, December 15, registration will begin at 7 a.m. with services available from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m.
More information is available at www.theseattlestanddown.org.