Metro is pleased to announce a new transit offer for essential workers and other residents who need to travel from West Seattle to work. Riders in new Vanpool groups that form between Jan. 4 and March 31 can apply to ride fare-free for two months.
Metro has also partnered with Seattle Department of Transportation to allow all new and existing Vanpools anytime access to the West Seattle Low Bridge. The Low Bridge can save vanpoolers up to 40 minutes on their commutes and is typically only available to freight, emergency, and transit vehicles from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.
What is a Vanpool?
- A Vanpool is a consistent group of people – such as neighbors, coworkers, and family members –who work together to share their commute using a van provided and maintained by Metro.
- Vanpools can accommodate various work schedules, including three, four, or five-day work weeks. The program is comparable in pricing to a standard Metro bus fare (once the two-month promotion ends).
- Metro provides a bike rack so Vanpool riders have the option to continue their commute by bicycle for part of their trip.
Metro’s Vanpool has implemented a number of safety enhancements guided by public health expertise. Masks are required, all riders agree to regularly wipe down surfaces and to leave as much distance as possible, and windows should remain cracked or down to increase airflow. Metro has also temporarily reduced the minimum number of required riders and provides no-contact van maintenance.
Get started today!
- Recruit at least one other person to help fill the driver and bookkeeper roles. RideshareOnline.com is a statewide free ride-matching website that may also be a helpful resource.
- Agree on group logistics such as parking, route, work schedule, etc.
- Submit your group’s application and we’ll follow up with next steps. Current application processing time is around two weeks.
If you’re looking to cut your commute costs, shorten your commute time via access to the Low Bridge, share driving responsibilities, and help keep our air cleaner, Metro’s Vanpool today.
Questions? Please visit Metro Vanpool webpage or call 206-625-4500.