With so much going on around the region this coming weekend, culminating with nighttime fireworks displays expected to draw thousands, it’s a good idea to plan ahead and travel with Metro!
In observance of Independence Day on Monday, July 4, Metro Transit will operate on a Sunday schedule. If a Metro route doesn’t typically operate on a Sunday, it will not operate this Monday, Independence Day.
Many areas may experience planned reroutes, or congestion and delays due to extra riders, street closures and traffic associated with community celebrations throughout the service area. Please allow extra time for travel. For information about reroutes, visit our Service Advisories page and use Metro’s Trip Planner to get ready to travel.
Fireworks on Seattle’s Lake Union
Expect traffic congestion all around Gas Works Park and Lake Union for the 10:15 p.m. July 4 Seafair fireworks show as viewers trickle in throughout the afternoon and evening, with especially heavy delays after the show is over. A handful of Metro bus trips will be added to help address expected demand and crowding.
Other cities across King County are scheduled to hold firework displays, festivals and parades, which are expected to require bus reroutes and service adjustments.
Changes to Link, Streetcar, Via to Transit, customer service hours
- Sound Transit Link 1 Line will provide extended 15-minute service on Monday, July 4, through early morning Tuesday, July 5.
- The last southbound train from Northgate station to Angle Lake Station will depart at 1:42 a.m.
- The last northbound train from Angle Lake Station to Northgate Station will depart at 1:41 a.m.
- Link trains will operate on a Sunday schedule July 4.
- Via to Transit will run from 6 a.m. Monday, July 4, to 1 a.m. Tuesday, July 5. All other on-demand services will operate on their regular Sunday schedule.
- South Lake Union Streetcar will have extended service on July 4. The last southbound streetcar will leave the Fairview/Campus Drive platform at 11:15 p.m.
- The West Seattle Water Taxi will offer departures from 8:30 a.m. until 7 p.m. on July 4. Boats depart Pier 50 in downtown Seattle every hour on the half-hour, and depart West Seattle on the hour.
- The Vashon Island Water Taxi route will not be in service Monday, July 4.
- Trailhead Direct service to Mount Si will operate all weekend, July 2-4.
- Sounder Commuter rail service will not operate July 4.
More information on travel planning
Visit Metro’s online regional or call the Customer Information Office on weekdays at 206-553-3000 to plan transit trips. Text your stop ID to 62550 to see when your bus will depart from your stop.